- Error code 0x80072f8f is often triggered repeatedly, no matter how many times you reboot the system or repeat the procedure.
- The error indicates that your computer’s settings were invalidated during the validation process.
- Microsoft: Such scenarios occur due to security issues, unstable Internet connections, high data traffic on dedicated servers, and fake product keys can be the cause.
- The fatal code disappears automatically after some time or after restarting the system.
This article provides 4 tips for resolving the error code 0x80072f8f that you may encounter when trying to activate Windows.
Cant Activate Windows 7
The System Properties window can be accessed by right-clicking Computer and selecting Properties.
In the case of Windows 7, Windows Vista, or Windows 8, the error code 0x80072F8F may occur during activation of your operating system. According to Microsoft, the error occurs due to a security error.
Unfortunately, Windows activation error code 0x80072f8f often keeps triggering time and again no matter how many times you reboot the system or retry the process. When the error code appears you may come across a message, “a problem occurred when windows tried to activate 0x80072f8f”. The prime reason behind this security error could be incorrect time and date settings, as well as the timezone settings. When the time set on your Windows machine does not match the time on the activation servers, they block your access moreover come up with unexpected error codes. However, there might be other reasons too that trigger error 0x80072f8f such as corrupted DLL files, invalid proxy settings, SSL certificate error, and misjudging of Windows Firewall.
When you try to activate the system after installing Windows, error code 0x80072f8f may evolve. This issue usually arises when the computer fails to connect to the online activation service. The error indicates that the settings in your computer were found to have been invalid during the verification. According to Microsoft, such scenarios occur because of security issues. In addition, unstable internet connections, high traffic in dedicated servers, and ingenuine product keys can cause the same. If so, the fatal code will go away automatically after some time or a performing a system reboot.
What is error code 0x80072f8f?
When you try to activate the system after installing Windows, you may get the error code 0x80072f8f. This problem usually occurs when the computer fails to connect to the online activation service. The error indicates that your computer’s settings were invalidated during the validation process. According to Microsoft, such scenarios occur due to security issues. Also, unstable Internet connections, high data traffic on dedicated servers, and fake product keys can be the cause. The fatal code disappears automatically after some time or after restarting the system.
Unfortunately, the Windows activation error code 0x80072f8f is often triggered repeatedly, no matter how many times you reboot the system or repeat the procedure. When the error code appears, you may get the message “A problem occurred when Windows tried to activate 0x80072f8f”. The main reason for this security error could be incorrect time and date and time zone settings. If the time set on your Windows computer does not match the time on the activation servers, your access will be blocked and unexpected error codes will appear. However, there may be other reasons that cause error 0x80072f8f, such as corrupt DLL files, incorrect proxy server settings, SSL certificate errors, and Windows firewall blunders.
Error code 0x80072F8F is described in this article. Activation issues may occur if more than one activation is attempted with the same Windows activation product key. Another code mentioned along with this error code is 0xC004B008. Windows activation error code 0x80072F8F may result from the above activation server denying the activation code entered. It is common for unauthorized keys to be entered during activation.
Why does activation error code 0x80072f8f occur in Windows 10?
There are a lot of reasons why Windows 10 activation error code 0x80072f8f appears during an upgrade or installation of the real version of the OS. However, if someone purchased the real version, why is this error code 0x80072f8f displayed? This error can be explained as follows:
- It is not the same time as it should be.
- Error with SSL certificate.
- Windows 10 is used in this example.
You can easily activate Windows 10 by waking up the tech support specialist inside of you and dealing with these situations.
We’re Not Sure What Happened Windows 10 0x80072f8f
It is possible that an unresponsive or unstable internet connection is causing the error. A bad network connection is caused by an Internet speed of less than 2 Mbps. Check your internet speed using your browser. You can proceed with other solutions if the speed is good; otherwise, you should wait until it stabilises.
Windows 10 Media Creation Tool 0x80072f8f
As a result of the TLS 1.2 protocol being disabled by default on Windows 7 and Windows 8, the error 0x80072F8F – 0x20000 occurs when the Media Creation Tool is used. A Windows 7 or Windows 8 computer only supports SSL3 and TLS1, whereas 8.1 and Windows 10 support SSL3, TLS1.0, TLS1.1, and TLS1.2 by default.
You can check if the Windows Firewall overprotects and blocks the connection to the Windows Update Server by temporarily disabling it.
How to repair the error code 0x80072f8f?
Configure the date and time
It is possible for your time and date settings to be incorrect, causing Windows activation error code 0x80072f8f. Activating Windows requires the Windows server to check your computer’s time and date. If it is very different from the server time and date, it causes the Windows Activation Error 0x80072f8f. Here is how to fix it.
- You can access the Date and Time by pressing the “Date and Time” key after clicking the “Start Windows” button.
- Specify the physical location of the PC’s time zone.
- Select “Change Settings” under “Internet Time”.
- Set “Internet time sync” to “on”.
- To update your settings, select “time.windows.com” from the drop-down box.
- The synchronization will begin, so click “OK” when it’s finished.
- If 0x80072f8f appears, make sure it has been fixed.
- Press “Enter” after typing “Date and time” in the “Start Windows” menu.
- Set the time automatically, make sure the time zone is set correctly, and check the “Automatic time setting” box.
- The time zone can be changed by temporarily disabling “Set Time Zone Automatically”.
- Ensure that the Windows activation error code 0x80072f8f is gone from your system.
Temporarily disable the Windows firewall
This application blocks potentially dangerous and suspicious threats from reaching your device by filtering all incoming data from the Internet through a program that is built into your system. As one of the most crucial utilities in Windows, it ensures system security and protection against a variety of malicious threats.
The Windows firewall is pre-enabled on Windows computers because of its security features. In the process of detecting the suspicious installation file, the program often blocks it due to its precision. Therefore, when activating Windows, you may encounter error code 0x80072f8f. Then disable the Windows firewall temporarily and see if it helps. To protect your operating system, make sure your firewall is enabled again.
A WiFi or Xbox Live connection problem is usually the reason for this.
There may be a corruption or damage in your system files causing error 0x80072f8f in the Microsoft Store. The SFC tool is an excellent option to repair corrupted system files.
- Press Win+R.
- Control firewall.cpl can be found by typing it in the Run command
- Click OK.
- Windows Defender can be enabled or disabled by selecting Enable or Disable.
- You can disable Windows Defender firewall settings for both private and public networks by selecting the radio button next to it.
- Then click OK.
Install the root certificate update
Activating Windows is not working for you if you see the error code 0x80072f8f. You can find instructions here on how to install a root certificate update, which includes a trusted root certificate and is automatically distributed to all Windows systems.
We Can’t Reach Our Activation Servers Right Now 0x80072f8f
In order to resolve the Windows activation error 0x80072f8f, it is crucial for you to verify the system’s date and time settings immediately.
It’s important to have administrator privileges if you want to change certain system settings, including installation. You can try running Windows Media Creation tool as administrator to resolve the error code 0x80072f8f – 0x20000, which may be caused by primitive issues. Right-click on the Media Creation Tool icon, select “Run as administrator” from the context menu once you have downloaded it.
- For more information about Microsoft’s Update Catalog, please visit their website.
- The search bar is located at the top.
- Update the root certificate.
- Select the version of the software that is compatible with the results page.
- If your PC configuration is compatible with the version you want, click Download Present.
- You can begin the installation after downloading the installation file by double-clicking it once it has finished downloading.
- The process will be completed based on the instructions provided on screen.
Re-registering DLL files
The dynamic link library files (.DLL) in Windows reduce code loss, reduce code loss, and reduce memory footprint by modulating code, using memory efficiently, and reducing code loss. However, if the DLL files are corrupted, Windows will behave abnormally, especially when the system is activated. This can lead to the system booting faster, running more efficiently, and taking up less hard drive space. In case of a Windows activation error code 0x80072f8f, please save the DLL files again.
- Using the taskbar search icon, search for what you are looking for.
- A cmd file is the type.
- Then press the Ctrl+Shift+Enter key combination.
- Step by step, run these commands:
- In the registry, run regsvr32 softpub.dll with the following parameters:
- Wintrust.dll must be installed with regsvr32
- Initpki.dll is registered by regsvr32.
- MSSIP32.dll, regsvr32, /S.
Frequently Asked Questions
What is error code 0x80072f8f?
Error code 0x80072f8f indicates that Windows is unable to communicate with the activation server. This can be due to a number of reasons, including incorrect date and time settings, firewall restrictions, or a corrupt root certificate.
How can I fix error code 0x80072f8f?
There are a few potential solutions for fixing error code 0x80072f8f, including correcting your date and time settings, temporarily disabling your firewall, or installing a root certificate update.
Why am I getting error code 0x80072f8f?
There are a few potential reasons why you may be getting error code 0x80072f8f, including incorrect date and time settings, firewall restrictions, or a corrupt root certificate.
How do I solve the error code 0x80072f8f?
There are a few potential solutions for resolving error code 0x80072f8f, including correcting your date and time settings, temporarily disabling your firewall, or installing a root certificate update.
Mark Ginter is a tech blogger with a passion for all things gadgets and gizmos. A self-proclaimed "geek", Mark has been blogging about technology for over 15 years. His blog, techquack.com, covers a wide range of topics including new product releases, industry news, and tips and tricks for getting the most out of your devices. If you're looking for someone who can keep you up-to-date with all the latest tech news and developments, then be sure to follow him over at Microsoft.