To fix Office 365 “No internet connection”, you need to run these 2 commands and reset Winsock. (ipconfig /flushdns and Winsock reset). Let’s take a detailed look at how to fix the Office application internet connection error if you are trying to open Office and encounter the 365 no internet connection error.
In this Techquack article, we will discuss different ways to fix Office 365 “no internet connection” error.
What causes the “No internet connection” error in Office 365 on Windows 10
It turns out that the error message appears even when you have an active internet connection. While you can still use the app and do what you want, some features won’t work if you don’t have an Internet connection. For example, if you have OneDrive syncing enabled so that your files automatically sync to the cloud, the error message won’t let that work.
Why does this error message show up even if you have an Internet connection? It turns out that there are several inconveniences that could be causing the said problem, and we’ll mention them below. So, let’s get to the bottom of this issue.
Third-party VPN: It turns out that the most obvious cause of the error message is a third-party VPN. In some cases, the VPN you installed and MS Office are not working properly, preventing Office from establishing an internet connection with its servers. As a result, you’ll see that error message. This problem can easily be solved by disabling the VPN you’re using.
Ethernet Adapter: In some cases, the error message may appear because of your system’s Ethernet adapter. It turns out that in some cases, your Ethernet adapter is faulty, preventing the Office from connecting to the Internet. This problem can easily be solved by simply restarting the adapter.
List of networks and location services: Finally, another reason for the error message could be two network services, which can be found in the Windows Services window. As in the case of the Ethernet adapter, simply restart the corresponding network services and it will work again.
Now that we’ve covered the possible causes of the problem, let’s move on to the methods you can use to solve it. Before we begin, it is important to note that in some cases, Office will only start in offline mode, resulting in an error message.
To solve this problem, you need to go to the File menu, then to the Account tab. There, in the lower-left corner, you’ll see an option to connect to the Internet. Do that and see if that solves the problem. If it doesn’t, follow the methods below.
How to fix the “no internet connection” error in Office 365 on Windows 10
Switching to public DNS
Some users report that switching to public DNS seems to solve the problem. Let’s see how to switch to a public DNS such as Google’s.
- Press the Windows + R keys to open “Run”.
- Now write ncpa.CPL in it and click OK.
- Now right-click on the network adapter and select Properties.
- Double-click on Internet Protocol Version 4 IPv4.
- Select the Use the following DNS server address checkbox and enter the following DNS address.
Disable IPv4 checksum unloading
Many users reported that this patch helped them
- Hold down the Windows+R keys at the same time
- In the Run dialog box, type PowerShell and press Ctrl+Shift+Enter.
- In the window, type the following command,
For Ethernet adapters:
Set-NetAdapterAdvancedProperty Eth* -DisplayName “IPv4 Checksum Offload” -DisplayValue “Disabled”
Tip: It may happen that the connection is interrupted for a few seconds.
Disconnect and reconnect the network adapter
- Hold down the Window+R key
- In the Run dialog box, type ncpa.CPL and press Enter.
- Right-click on the network adapter that you are connected to and select deactivate.
- Now right-click again and select enable.
Flush DNS and Reset Winsock
- Open a command prompt with administrator privileges.
- At the command line, enter the following commands in the sequence
NETSH Winsock reset catalog
NETSH int ipv4 reset reset.log
NETSH int ipv6 reset reset.log
Reboot the system for the changes to take effect.
Resetting the IP address
In most cases, resetting the system’s IP address solves the problem.
- Hold down Windows+r at the same time to open the Run window
- Type cmd and press Ctrl+Shift+Enter at the same time. This will open a command prompt with administrator privileges.
- In the UAC window asking for permissions, click Yes.
- In the command prompt window, type the following commands
- ipconfig /release
- ipconfig /renew
These commands assign the system a new IP address.
Restore Office 365
- Hold down the Windows+r keys.
- In the Run window, type appwiz.CPL and press Enter.
- In the Programs and Features window that opens, find Microsoft 365, right-click it, and select Edit.
- If the User Account Control (UAC) window appears and asks for permissions, click Yes.
- In the dialog box that appears, click Quick Fix.
- Click the Repair button.
- Follow the instructions that appear and restore the Office programs.
- If the problem is related to a corrupt Office 365 app, this solution can help fix it.
- Restart the application and see if the problem is resolved.
- If not, try performing an online restore (instead of a quick fix as in step 6) to restore the Office applications.
- Restart the application and see if the error is corrected.
Frequently Asked Questions
In some cases, the problem with connecting to Outlook is caused by software conflicts. If you use multiple programs on your computer, it's possible that one of your applications conflicts with Outlook and causes an error. Make sure there are no unsaved files before continuing.
This error can occur for a number of reasons. The most common cause is a change in configuration settings, such as the IP address, which can cause problems connecting your router to the Internet. Any program, including an operating system update, can cause this problem.
In Word, go to File -> Options -> Trust Center -> Trust Center Options -> Privacy Settings and check the "Allow Office to connect to the Internet" box.
Office 365 works in offline mode. You will need to connect to the Internet every 30 days to maintain your subscription. Office 365 will notify you when it is time to connect.